Winston Law PA

Enforcement of Court Orders and Contempt

There are several different court orders that may stem from a divorce case. Those orders may deal with child custody and timesharing, property distribution, alimony, and/or child support. It is very frustrating to have a court order resolving an issue and your ex-spouse does not follow it. Not complying with a court order can result in serious consequences including attorney fees, bank account levies, loss of driver’s license, tax return seizures or jail time.

If your ex-spouse has been ordered to do a specific thing as a result of the divorce case and does not comply, Winston Law, P.A. can help you enforce your court order. The process of enforcing a court order begins with filing a motion for contempt against the other party. After a motion is filed, the judge will set an evidentiary hearing. At that hearing, the Petitioner (party bringing the contempt motion) will have to prove that the Respondent (party accused of being in contempt) has not complied with the court order.

If you have been accused of not following a court order and a contempt motion is filed against you, it is important to have a lawyer on your side. Winston Law, P.A. can defend you against a claim that you are in violation of a court order by cross examining the other party’s claims and offering evidence to the court.

If you or a loved one need a skilled and experienced attorney or are interested in more information, contact Winston Law, P.A. at [email protected] or (561) 670-9375.

winston law