Winston Law PA

Paternity and Father’s Rights

If you are a father to a child and not married to that child’s mother, it is important to be aware of your rights in Florida.  According to Florida Law, if you are not married to your child’s mother at the time of the child’s birth your rights may be limited.  Even if your name is on the birth certificate, if you are not married to the child’s mother, you may have trouble seeing your child or making decisions about your child’s upbringing.  That is why it is important to establish paternity as soon as possible.

Fathers in this situation need to establish their rights through Florida courts.  Winston Law, P.A. represents clients on either side of a paternity action.  In most cases there is no issue as to who is the biological father of the child, but formal paternity needs to be established in order to ensure that child support is paid and the father has custody and timesharing rights with the child.

If you are a father wanting to establish a stable parenting plan to see your children, or if you are a mother who has been served with a paternity petition, or are interested in more information, contact Winston Law, P.A. at [email protected] or (561) 670-9375.

winston law